Been Busy the last few months

27 Feb

Been a while since I have written anything.  I started building a small casita in June and finished it in January 2016.  Needless to say building anything in Costa Rica takes time and effort, not to mention 5,000 trips to the hardware store.   It started out as a small casita, but as time went on the plans changed.  I must say by the end of it all it turned out quite nice and my carpenter friend did a great job.  Did I mention it was the second wettest year since keeping records here in 2002. That really made things slow down a lot.  Trying to dry wood in the rain is no easy feet!!!


This is how it all started.  We used black laurel, cacha and nispero for the entire house.


Our Kiln to dry the wood, just add fire.


Digging the supports for the foundation.



The supports are up and joists in place.


Milling the tablia for the roof.


Tabila stacked and drying (350 pieces) before tonguing and grooving.


Sides up and going for the roof next.


One side done with the skylights


The other side done.


With the roof on now we can put in the floor.


Once the floor is done the outer walls and interior walls go up


Windows framed.

 20151119_134745-01 20151119_134812-01

Outside walls almost done/



Bathroom wall is almost finished.


Getting the porch close to finished.


Railing is up, doors are on and looking good.


Putting on the window shutters.


Getting the kitchen started.


Kitchen done.


Outside it ready.


Kitchen ready.


Bed is ready.


Bathroom is ready.


Done, time to sit on the porch under the fan and cool off.  Pura Vida………..


Posted by on February 27, 2016 in Uncategorized


4 responses to “Been Busy the last few months

  1. Matt

    February 28, 2016 at 1:50 pm

    Looks amazing. Curious if you would share the cost. Thanks

    • treystot

      February 28, 2016 at 3:04 pm

      The cost was a little over $16,000 furnish. That said, I have a deal with my carpenter to pay him a percentage of the rentals in exchange for all the hard work he put into it. It was a labor of love for sure.

  2. Puma

    April 21, 2016 at 1:42 pm

    How long did you leave the wood to dry? What is the standard drying time for wood like laurel for example?

    • treystot

      April 21, 2016 at 2:10 pm

      We dried the wood covered in plastic with a fire under it. Took a week for some and longer for the bigger boards. Burned a lot of wood with all the rain we had.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: